Paul Mullin

Paul Mullin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:54 am

John Coleman has turned down our request to take Mullin on loan with a view to a permanent transfer per Radio Lancashire last night.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Re: Paul Mullin

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:22 am

I heard that too, I wonder though if this is an old request that JC has now made public as a bit of 'mischief making' :lol: or does it suggest that Sammy could after all still be in the market for an additional proven striker?

In which case it kills my belief posted yesterday that we were no longer in the hunt for somebody else..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If so...step forward Darren Byfield?????
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Shrimpman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Shrimpman

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Sorry, but at 35 the guy is just too old. If Sammy is serious in looking to bring in another striker, what's happened about the striker that was earmarked to come to us on a seasons loan?

I've nothing against Mullin but his age suggests only one more season at the most at our level.

This appears to me ...as a desperate move on our part.

Why not Byfield if we are so in need of some experience?

Surely there are more suitable alternatives than PM?
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 pm

Don't think he's too old at all.

If we after someone strong to hold up balls and knock stuff on for Jevons, I can't think of anyone better in League 2. Personally, I hate him as a player, but I think he is still very capable at this level.

As for Byfield, he's fairly similar to Jevons IIRC?
campdave

Postby Harry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:25 pm

Not a fan of the man but we do need a bigger striker - Twiss and Jevons running around the outside of the box linking up play is all well and good but we need someone up top for one of them to play off.
Harry

Postby Crooky MFC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:33 pm

I don't see why age has to come into it, if he's still capable of doing the job we are wanting him to do then IMO it would be a good signing.
Crooky MFC

Postby eggchaser » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:58 pm

Age doesn't really come into it... Look at dean windass at age 38 he was scoring the winner in the championship final two years ago, if he has the hunger to still play and has the fitness then I don't see why he wouldn't be a great signing. :D
Football is a gentleman's game, played by thugs
and Rugby is a thug's game, played by gentleman
eggchaser

Postby Keith » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:08 pm

Harry wrote:Not a fan of the man but we do need a bigger striker -

Curtis?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Bolio » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:35 pm

Curtis for me is still the man. For many years now he has been still the best finisher we have had even with the addition of many strikers. Powerful , wise and knows where the goal is. You won't find many better in any other league two side IMO, should still be given a chance even if he is knocking on slowly.

Mullin would be a clever capture for the season however , pain in the a**e to defenders and always seems to out class Jim and our defence.
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby The Red Knight » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:43 pm

Stuart Barlow still did a job for us at 37 too.
The Red Knight

Postby bigreddog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:57 pm

The Red Knight wrote:Stuart Barlow still did a job for us at 37 too.

Very good point. Barlow was quality.
Fans' Club Morecambe

join the facebook group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/home.php?sk=group_183535545003563&id=193325224024595&notif_t=like
Updated, interactive, snazzy website coming soon...
bigreddog

Postby Old Man Kensey » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:08 pm

I would try Curtis upfront with Twiss or Jevons. I'm sure he is more than capable of doing the same job that Mullins could.
The thrushes' bleeding battle with the wrens
Disrupts my reverie again
Old Man Kensey

Postby Bolio » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:10 pm

I would try Curtis upfront with Twiss or Jevons. I'm sure he is more than capable of doing the same job that Mullins could.

Exactly , why spend money or time and effort recruiting when one of our own more than fits the bill.

We already have a team of new signing which have obviously not yet gelled , with no league win being our evidence. Why keep adding and not work with what you got?

Just a opinion.
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby The Fury » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 pm

Did Wayne Curtis just get described as 'wise'?
The Fury

Postby Bolio » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:17 pm

Did Wayne Curtis just get described as 'wise'?

Yes , very rarely does Wayne make the wrong decision and always puts the effort in when the ball is lost.

Don't doubt your reading ability , its not good for the brain.
North - West best!
Bolio

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 pm

He wouldn't come cheap and I still think he's only good for one season.

It's only my opinion and I respect others on this subject, but surely it's better to go for somebody similar in style and younger?

I'd still like to hear why / if the proposed loan striker that certain people were all excited about has fallen through?

By all means give Wayne the chance alongside PJ...after all Wayne has hardly ever played in his favoured role since Sammy came..... :o
Christies Child

Postby The Marksman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:33 pm

It probably would be better to go for someone similar in style and younger, but he's available right now and (I assume) lives not that far away. Fair enough signing for a season or so if we get him.
The Marksman

Postby shrimper » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:37 pm

Christies Child wrote:He wouldn't come cheap and I still think he's only good for one season.

It's only my opinion and I respect others on this subject, but surely it's better to go for somebody similar in style and younger?

I'd still like to hear why / if the proposed loan striker that certain people were all excited about has fallen through?

By all means give Wayne the chance alongside PJ...after all Wayne has hardly ever played in his favoured role since Sammy came..... :o

Because he was such a good player that someone else, higher up, took him?
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby sandgrown » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:25 pm

and there's me thinking we had the worst DEFENCE :shock:
sandgrown

Postby james456 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:00 pm

Wouldn't want a permanent deal personally but a season long loan would be good imo. The perfect target man which we need so badly and an impressive goalscoring record with Stanley.
james456

Postby Posh » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 pm

I don't think Mullin is too old and he gets in people's faces. Yet I'm kind of disappointed we've come to this stage. At the end of the season we released / said goodbye to three strikers and said that our over-riding aim in the summer was to get two quality strikers.

As it turned out we got one on a season-long loan that was late in pre-season and untargeted and are now looking at another part way into the season on the same sort of deal (I don't understand the permanent move though). Ironically everyone was talking four weeks ago about a big target man to help Phil Jevons and now its gone to helping Twissy or Phil Jevons. I know who has looked better, sharper and stronger for me in the games I've seen.

Why then didn't we go the extra £8K and just sign Michael Gash or just make a more concerted effort to target a few other strikers that we had more chance of getting? Yet if some people had their way we'd playing Twissy up front with Waynaldo, two Morecambe Conference veterans signed from very different then non-league sides. Is this really how far we've travelled in our Football League days?

Meanwhile high-flying Dagenham & Redbridge are relying on a strikeforce of Paul Benson, signed from White Ensign in the Essex Senior League; Jon Nurse from Stevenage; Josh Scott signed in the summer from Hayes & Yeading; and Wes Thomas signed from Fisher Athletic. Interestingly only Will Antwi in their squad was signed from a league club and even he was on loan at Northwich. John Still seems to have a knack of targeting his man and getting them snapped up. Maybe we've been unlucky with players like Curtis Allen but we need to keep trying.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
Posh

Postby Christies Child » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm

Posh has it spot on ...again!

A close season that was supposed to be all about signing two strikers and all we've got is loanee Jevons (quality, but can't do it on his own) and that's it.

For me the close season in that regard has been an abject failure. Having to rely in the 11th hour on the goodwill of another club to let us loan two players says a lot about our apparent inability to attract quality strikers on permanent deals for whatever reason.

As for the Daggers....good on'em. However there's no way that under the present regime would we go down that route. Talk of bringing Mullin in would give us a further player over 30.

Don't forget the Philosan....Les!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Christies Child

Postby P/T Indie » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

I see the daggers have just sold for a tidy sum who they picked up on a free when he was released from Sutton Utd :o

I ber Sutton are kicking themselves now
Eintracht Branschweigs answer to Shrimps Voices

http://eintracht-demo.forumieren.com/index.htm

For a great footballing day out
P/T Indie

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:20 pm

don't really want any more new players unless there of real quality, id play Curtis & Twiss upfront

Jevons needs a kick up the arse!
George Dawes

Next

Return to General Discussion