Paul Mullin

Re: Paul Mullin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Bolio wrote:Curtis for me is still the man. For many years now he has been still the best finisher we have had even with the addition of many strikers. Powerful , wise and knows where the goal is. You won't find many better in any other league two side IMO, should still be given a chance even if he is knocking on slowly.

Mullin would be a clever capture for the season however , pain in the a**e to defenders and always seems to out class Jim and our defence.

Ask any centre half which striker they hated playing against most , Wayne Curtis or Paul Mullin and the answer would be Mullin. An absolute nightmare for a defender with his physical presence and clever hold up play.
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Abbo » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:56 pm

DawZi, Jevons needs a kick up the arse ??? sorry mate but your talking out of yours if thats what you think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Abbo

Postby Crooky MFC » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:02 pm

DawZi wrote:

Jevons needs a kick up the arse!

Come on mate, he's been asked to play as a target man so far this season, which he clearly isnt. He'll get us the 15+ goals when he has someone like Mullin alongside him.
Crooky MFC

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:09 pm

well untill then id leave him out of the team so far this season id say Twissy as been the better player,

and Twissy and Jevons are to similar to play together successfully
George Dawes

Postby George Dawes » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:12 pm

oh and i couldn't give a stuff about his reputation, its what i see him doing now for Morecambe, forming my own opinion
George Dawes

Postby mfcbro » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 am

Just ask Jim Bentley or Dave Artell if they would rather play with him or against him,i think i know what the answer would be.Paul Mullin has always caused us problems,our record against Accy isnt that good.I.m.o he would do a job for us.Its ok going on about who we should get or who we have missed.The truth of the matter we tried and for whatever reason we didnt get them.No one knows the facts lets get on and get who we can.Paul Mullin will do for me with Jevons along side.
mfcbro

Postby shrimper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am

.... which would be hard on Twissy who has played really well.

We've scored two goals in three of our four games and were unlucky not to have had at least one at Barnet, that's not bad scoring form.

Sort the defence out, make us stronger in midfield and we may be okay up front.

I'd have Mullin, or any other good striker, but not at any price.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:04 pm

Coleman has said that a loan makes no sence financially.

What therefore was the sence in Mullin's loan to Bradford?

He also said that he'd had discussions with our Vice Chairman. I always thought that any player discussions were between the respective Board members.
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby Harry » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:11 pm

There was a very informative video interview about players ins and outs with our vice chairman when we signed Henry McStay - basically Sammy identifies targets and Mr Hodgson does his utmost (in the club's interests) to sign them.

They don't all sit round a table and thrash out a deal with another club's board via video-link :lol:
Harry

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Harry wrote:There was a very informative video interview about players ins and outs with our vice chairman when we signed Henry McStay - basically Sammy identifies targets and Mr Hodgson does his utmost (in the club's interests) to sign them.

They don't all sit round a table and thrash out a deal with another club's board via video-link :lol:

I always thought that deals were done with the concerned club's Board (sat round a table with a pint or two?)not with the manager.
Christies Child

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:44 pm

PAUL MULLIN

I cannot see the point of signing a 35 year old striker who has scored about 8 goals in his last 40 games, twiss, curtis or even taylor should be expected to do that, I was under the Mistaken impression we were chasing his brother john , the former burnley player, the reason Accy do not want to loan him to us is because there is nothing in it for them, next year, if they get him back, he is even older, and they are getting him back worth less,does anyone know how long he has left on his contract??
PUNKISDEAD

Postby Christies Child » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:21 pm

PUNKISDEAD wrote:PAUL MULLIN

I cannot see the point of signing a 35 year old striker who has scored about 8 goals in his last 40 games, twiss, curtis or even taylor should be expected to do that, I was under the Mistaken impression we were chasing his brother john , the former burnley player, the reason Accy do not want to loan him to us is because there is nothing in it for them, next year, if they get him back, he is even older, and they are getting him back worth less,does anyone know how long he has left on his contract??

His contract finishes at the end of this season.

For us to even contemplate taking him on is ridiculous. Looks to me as though Sammy is bloody desperate to get somebody on board before the window closes.

What the hell was being done during the summer? That's the time we've been told that we'd be in for 2 strikers! Now a month into the season and we are chasing a 35 year old....PLEASE!
Christies Child

Postby The Red Knight » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:02 am

Christies Child wrote:

His contract finishes at the end of this season.

For us to even contemplate taking him on is ridiculous. Looks to me as though Sammy is bloody desperate to get somebody on board before the window closes.

What the hell was being done during the summer? That's the time we've been told that we'd be in for 2 strikers! Now a month into the season and we are chasing a 35 year old....PLEASE!

You spout utter shit at the best of times but you really have been out doing yourself the past few days.

Give it a rest!
The Red Knight

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:40 am

Everybody is entitled to their say......so sorry but NO!

We've already got a striker on our books who could do exactly the same job as Mullin but hasn't been given the chance by Sammy, in fact the guy has hardly played in his favoured role since Sammy's arrival.

Step forward Wayne Curtis!
Christies Child

Postby campdave » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:02 am

Christies Child wrote:

We weren't lied to though were we? Going in for players doesn't mean you get them.

Demount from that high horse please, it can't take the strain.
campdave

Postby broadwayshrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:48 am

The other thing Mullin would bring is a bit of airial power up front
broadwayshrimp

Postby PUNKISDEAD » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:06 am

does aeriel power, come in liquid, powder or tablet form :?:
PUNKISDEAD

Postby The Marksman » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:20 pm

I cannot see the point of signing a 35 year old striker who has scored about 8 goals in his last 40 games, twiss, curtis or even taylor should be expected to do that

It's not just about the "goals for" column, it's about his all round play - aerial threat, occupying defenders and laying the ball off to e.g. Jevons, who historically has always scored many more goals when played in tandem with a target man. If he got 8 for us and Jevons 25, that would do me.

I like Curtis, but he's not 6'3".
The Marksman

Postby shrimper » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:51 pm

[quote="Christies Child"]

What the hell was being done during the summer? quote]

Neil, you know what was being done in the summer.

We made approaches for at least three strikers (two to sign and one on loan) made offers to the clubs of two of them (Ebbsfleet and Distillery - Gash and Curtis Allen) and gave trials to a couple of others (Larkin and Chadwick).
None of them materialised.
Then we managed to sign Jevons, who is a good player. Then we looked at our squad and decided that a 'target man' type might just be the last piece of the jigsaw and our thoughts turned to Mullin, who we are now trying to sign.
Is the glass half full or half empty? Mmmm? hard to say - but it does look like there's room for more beer!
shrimper

Postby Keith » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:58 pm

is scoring goals really going to be a problem? I think we've a few players who will all score and I think we will score more than last season with the players we've got. It's shipping soft goals, not defending crosses, free kicks & corners that worries me.
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Postby Heysham_Shrimp » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:12 pm

Keith wrote:is scoring goals really going to be a problem? I think we've a few players who will all score and I think we will score more than last season with the players we've got. It's shipping soft goals, not defending crosses, free kicks & corners that worries me.

yes but are we shipping soft goals because the front players can't hold onto the ball and therefore it keeps coming back.

Rene Howe had some detractors on here but he could hold onto the ball and occupy the attentions of defenders so that we weren't constantly under pressure. Paul Mullin is also a master at this but Wayne is not in the same bracket. Jim Harvey coverted Wayne into a left sided midfield player which is nothing like being a "target man".
"They will be dancing in the streets of Total Network Solutions tonight" - Jeff Stelling
Heysham_Shrimp

Postby Christies Child » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm

Heysham_Shrimp wrote:
Keith wrote:is scoring goals really going to be a problem? I think we've a few players who will all score and I think we will score more than last season with the players we've got. It's shipping soft goals, not defending crosses, free kicks & corners that worries me.

yes but are we shipping soft goals because the front players can't hold onto the ball and therefore it keeps coming back.

Rene Howe had some detractors on here but he could hold onto the ball and occupy the attentions of defenders so that we weren't constantly under pressure. Paul Mullin is also a master at this but Wayne is not in the same bracket. Jim Harvey coverted Wayne into a left sided midfield player which is nothing like being a "target man".

...and if you get the chance ask Wayne which role he prefers and is best at. It certainly isn't left sided midfield.

Put Wayne up front to link with PJ and watch them both create problems. No need to pay for anybody else then!
Christies Child

Postby james456 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:59 pm

We have players who can get the goals if given a chance. We don't need someone fast or young and we don't even need a goalscorer. Its someone who can hold the ball up and win aerial challenges that we need and Paul Mullin fits the bill better than any other player I can think of in this division. Yes, he's getting on a bit but in the role that he plays, experience is far more important than youth and pace. I think Mullin would be fantastic on loan and tbh, I think he could even last a few more years if we brought him in permanently so not a complete waste of money.

As for the defence, I'm not sure what the problem is. It could be tactical or motivational but it is not due to a lack of quality. We've kept the same defence as last year bar Adam Yates and we have brought in Lawrence Wilson, Will Haining and Darren Moss who are all good, proven players. On paper, our defence is stronger than the already fantastic defence we had last year and we have plenty of strength in depth so please god, lets not sign another defender and throw a new face into the confusion that is the back line right now.
james456

Previous

Return to General Discussion