The old place

The old place

Postby Mike W. » Thu May 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Went to Christie park this afternnon.

Anyone of a nervous or emotional disposition should not go near - the North Stand roof is a pile of bent and buckled Meccano on the ground and the back wall is leaning crazily forward, with its back cladding bent and burst - the terrace steps piled up to one side - and all that after only 6 hours work by a machine with what looks like a pair of enormous toenail clippers attached, eating the girders greedily. They say at the end of today most of the stand will be flat.

The Main Stand has no decking. The insides of JB's Bar and the changing rooms peer oddly out through the girders where the seats used to be. The Press Box is perched dangerously, and inaccessibly, on a ledge up in the air. They have to take the asbestos cladding off piece by piece, carefully, to avoid causing it to crack and spread its dust around, but once that has been done the Stand will come down quite quickly.

The South Stand (what used to be the Umbro Stand) is naked after the asbestos cladding has been removed - the demolition people tell me it will take "About an hour" to floor what is left of it.

After that the job is to cut the steel and other stuff into standard size pieces to send it on to the the scrap companies, and then to clear the site fully, before Barrs start building the bacon counter for Sainsburys.

The job is timetabled as being allowed 7 weeks, but the boss said that he expected it to take 4 weeks - tops !

:| :( :oops:

Mike W.
Mike W.

Re: The old place

Postby Jack » Thu May 27, 2010 6:57 pm

:(

Wish we were still at Christie in a way. There's a lot of history at that place.
Jack

Postby heysham_mfc » Thu May 27, 2010 9:10 pm

lets get it done and other with then we can look forward to a brand new era at the globe
heysham_mfc

Postby John L » Thu May 27, 2010 10:11 pm

Mike W. wrote:Went to Christie park this afternnon.

Anyone of a nervous or emotional disposition should not go near - the North Stand roof is a pile of bent and buckled Meccano on the ground and the back wall is leaning crazily forward, with its back cladding bent and burst - the terrace steps piled up to one side - and all that after only 6 hours work by a machine with what looks like a pair of enormous toenail clippers attached, eating the girders greedily. They say at the end of today most of the stand will be flat.

Thanks Mike. By 4pm it had stopped leaning crazily forward and was pretty much flat on it's face. I re-visited just before 9pm and this is how it looks overnight....
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03915.JPG (75.87 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
DSC03918.JPG
DSC03918.JPG (99.72 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
DSC03922.JPG
DSC03922.JPG (87.46 KiB) Viewed 1933 times
John L

Postby Alan » Thu May 27, 2010 10:50 pm

(only a little) O/T...

Read in the financial news tonight that Asda are hoping to buy all 193 Netto stores and will rebrand them by mid 2011.

So possibly a Sainsburys and an Asda (albeit small) within a quarter of a mile of each other.
Alan

Postby scar » Thu May 27, 2010 10:55 pm

Mike being papped!

scar

Postby Christies Child » Thu May 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Alan wrote:(only a little) O/T...

Read in the financial news tonight that Asda are hoping to buy all 193 Netto stores and will rebrand them by mid 2011.

So possibly a Sainsburys and an Asda (albeit small) within a quarter of a mile of each other.

What's the betting that some commission somewhere says that there can't be 2 Asdas within a certain number of miles of each other.

It was always thought that Asda was the other store that wanted Christie..
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child

Postby marky » Thu May 27, 2010 11:14 pm

Given the size of Netto, I think they will be able to keep it.
Some are dead and some are living. In my life, I've loved them all.
marky

Postby Curly » Fri May 28, 2010 1:22 am

John L wrote:
Mike W. wrote:Went to Christie park this afternnon.

Thanks Mike. By 4pm it had stopped leaning crazily forward and was pretty much flat on it's face. I re-visited just before 9pm and this is how it looks overnight....
DSC03915.JPG
DSC03918.JPG
DSC03922.JPG

Admit it John, you just can't stay away :lol:
YOU ALWAYS WAS AND YOU ALWAYS WAS BE!!!

Curly

Postby outsider » Fri May 28, 2010 8:40 am

Curly wrote:
Admit it John, you just can't stay away :lol:

Too much time on his hands, need to get a proper job and stop playing with trains :lol: :lol: :lol:
All posts posted under "Outsider" are my own personal views.

DILLIGAF

Viva la Revolution

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
outsider

Postby Keith » Fri May 28, 2010 10:06 am

marky wrote:Given the size of Netto, I think they will be able to keep it.

Or close it?
“Britain faces a simple and inescapable choice - stability and strong Government with me, or chaos with Ed Miliband: ".

David Cameron. May 4th 2015.
So how did that work out then?
Keith
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion